Friday, January 30, 2009

Draco Malfoy


Can I just take a moment to gush about Draco? Thanks.

In the Japanese trailer, and in the full length theatrical one, I noticed the quite disturbed Draco Malfoy (Tom Felton) looking at himself in the mirror (pictured here). He is seemingly shaken up by the task the Dark Lord has entrusted him with. The many depths of his character are brought to life in the Half Blood Prince and I cannot wait to see it in the film!

Ever since the first movie, I've quite vehemently insisted that Tom Felton hasn't been given enough screen time. I certainly hope that changes in the final three installments. Draco plays a really important role in the final books, and so long as Tom Felton is committed to the character, Draco should be fully represented on screen. I mean, just look at him!! He knows he has been given a task by the Dark Lord, and does not want to disappoint him or his family, yet he is conflicted and scared in this scene. To balance this, however, we see throughout the film, a more determined and defiant Draco, committed to his task and unwilling to let anyone get in his way; we even see glimpses of evil and ruthlessness in his eyes. I suppose that's what makes a scene like this so powerful.

At either rate, I cannot wait! The entire focus on Draco - regardless of whether it is elaborate or minimal - will be great!

No comments: