Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Writer's Block

Last week, I stumbled upon Amazon's Beedle the Bard contest. One lucky finalist gets an all-expense paid trip to London to take a look at this magnificent book. As soon as I saw it, my natural reaction was "OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! OH MY GOD! Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

Anyway...

So, I started to think about my entry for the contest. I must say, I'm having a harder time coming up with something than I thought I would. Perhaps because the stakes are so high this time. I mean, you get a trip for two to London!! Two nights at a London hotel!! An expense allowance!! AND a $1000 Amazon gift card!! All of this, of course, pales in comparison to the grand prize...you get to spend a weekend with The Tales of Beedle the Bard - the rare and delightful book of fairy tales - handwritten and illustrated by J.K. Rowling herself!! This is any die hard Potter fan's dream!!

The excitement should only trigger my creativity right?

Wrong.

I can't seem to get the creative juices flowing! I have spent much of the last decade thinking about Harry Potter - about what house I'd be sorted to, what my first ride on a broom would be like, what subjects I would study while at Hogwarts, whether I'd become a player on a house quidditch team - the list is endless. I have attended book release parties, participated in book discussions, joined Potter fandom, downloaded podcasts, listened to wizard rock, joined millions at movie theatres to watch the films (and then bought the special edition DVDs), collected toys and mementos, postered my wall, joined list serves...Why then can I not compile a 100 word entry to submit into a contest that, if I won, would change my life forever?!

This writer's block is further compounded by the fact that this contest has been publicized widely in the past week. I was hoping for a smaller pool of entries, one in which mine would easily overcome the competition to be crowned "the winner." Alas, I was wrong. The contest is sure to draw entries from millions all around the world, all vying for the chance of a lifetime.


I could really use some felix felicis at the moment.

No comments: